Dental implant procedure in Hampstead, North London
For most patients in our Hampstead clinic, the treatment period lasts around nine months. Once treatment begins, if due to any unexpected circumstances your treatment plan needs to change, these will be discussed with you and the fees adjusted accordingly before more treatment takes place. To help you understand what will happen, we have created a step by step guide below of how our dental implant procedure works:
- Consultation - Your dental implant journey starts with this which is an initial examination and assessment with small x-rays. Impressions and photographs may also be taken for planning. We will have a discussion about different types of dental implants and also show you previous patient before & after photos.
- CT Scan - The next step is to go for a CT scan which will provide our dentists with a perfect photograph of your teeth, nerves and bones.
- Detailed Treatment Plan - After this we can then send you a comprehensive assessment of your teeth and potential treatment plan.
- Second Consultation - We may call you back in for a further appointment (free of charge) to discuss further.
- Planning Appointment - If you decide to go ahead with your dental implants, an appointment is arranged where detailed records are taken and impressions for a surgical stent. The surgical procedure is discussed in detail and consent forms are read, explained and signed.
- Hygienist Appointment – We need to make sure you have the cleanest mouth possible before treatment, so you would then arrange an appointment to see our hygienist.
- Dental Implant Surgery - Then it’s onto the surgical phrase of your treatment (you can read more information about this below).
- Removal of sutures – One week after surgery you will come back for a review appointment and have you sutures removed.
- Preliminary Appointment - After 3-4 months of healing the implants will be uncovered and impressions taken so that either your crowns, bridges or a denture can be made to replace your missing teeth which will be supported by and attached to the implants.
- Final Appointment – Your personally crafted new teeth will be fitted
After your dental implant procedure
Once everything is complete, a routine follow-up appointment will be made where any adjustments can be made in our North London clinic. After this, regular dental check-ups as well as hygienist appointments and home care is crucial for the long-term survival of your new dental implants and the supported restorations.
Further dental implant surgery information
The surgical phase of your dental implant procedure will be carried out under local anaesthetic. The gum tissue will be opened to expose the underlying bone, into which a hole will be prepared, which will then intimately house the dental implant. The reflected gum tissue will then be stitched over and around the embedded implant. The procedure may also involve bone grafts (natural or artificial) to build up the ridge of the jaw and help in the placement and in securing the implants. You will then be prescribed medication (antibiotics and/or painkillers) as needed to help make after your procedure as comfortable as possible.
Healing will be allowed to proceed for a minimum period of 3-4 months. If for any reason the placement of the implant(s) does not work medically, our dentists will assess your situation and advise you accordingly as to what can be done.
If all goes well, the implants will be exposed, possibly with a second minor surgical procedure, and their integration to your bone will be tested. If this has been successful, the restorative phase will start. However, in the highly unlikely event of an implant failing to integrate fully, more healing time will be given, or arrangements will be made for its removal, and replacement with another implant at reduced cost. This second implant will have as good a chance to integrate as any other. Occasionally, supplemental minor surgical procedures might be carried out, in addition to the above, to improve soft tissue adaptation around the implant.
Pre and post dental implant surgery advice
If you need any advice before or after surgery please don’t hesitate to contact our Hampstead Clinic in North London. We want to ensure all our patients have the best care we can provide them with, so no question is too short or inappropriate as we always give our patients the time, care and consideration they need. Please read our advice below before your surgery commences.
One week prior to surgery
- Discontinue Aspirin
- Curasept rinsing three times a day
- No smoking or patches
Night before surgery
- No aspirin
- No alcohol
Morning of surgery
- Thorough tooth brushing and Curasept
After surgery - Day 1
- Ice packs ASAP, 15min. intervals, for two hours
- Medication (antibiotics and painkillers)
- No rinsing 24hrs, No smoking
- Cool foods and fluids
Day 2 - 7
- If swollen, apply heat to the outside
- Rinse with hot salty water three times a day for one week
- Continue with Curasept three times a day for one week
- Gentle brushing and flossing
Dental implant procedure questions
We have been working with clients from all over North London (including St Johns Wood, Belsize Park, Highgate, and Swiss Cottage) from our Hampstead clinic since 1979.
Our North London premises are less than a minute's walk away from Hampstead Underground Station.
For more information on dental implants please also see:
- Dental Implants in Hampstead
- Types Of Dental Implants
- Why Have Dental Implants?
- Dental Implant Consultation
- Dental Implant Photos
- Dental Implant Benefits
- Dental Implant Risks
- Dental Implant Costs
- Dental Implant Questions
Dental Perfection Dental Practice is rated 5 out of 5 based on 16 ratings with Google.